Key themes for younger Foundations participants: having friendships, playing, working together to create, having fun, a positive activity, resilience, making friends out of school
- At the start of term 20% of Younger (7-11 yr olds) participants classed themselves as very confident, this rose to 73% by the end of term.
- At the start of term only 7% of younger foundations very enjoyed working with others by the end of term this rose to 60%.
- At the start of term 53% of the younger foundations felt happy or very happy talking to others this rose to 93% by the end of term.
- At the start of term 73% of the younger foundations felt happy or very happy and this rose to 93% by the end of term.
- At the start of term 0% felt very able to deal with change this rose to 47% by the end of term.
Response from Parents and Referral Partners
- At the start of term parents and referral partners rated 59% of the younger participants as either having very low or low self-confidence, at the end of term they said 0% of their YP had low or very low confidence.
- Parents rated only 8% of their young people as having very good social skills, this rose to 33% by the end of term.
- 46% of parents at the start term rated their young person as having poor or very poor teamwork skills, at the end of term 0% were rated as very poor and only 4% were rated poor at teamwork skills at the end of term.
- 37.5% of parents at the start of term rated their young person as having poor or very communications skills, at the end of term 0% were rated as very poor or poor at communication at the end of term.
- Parents rated their young people 92% happy or very happy at the end of term compared to 25% at the start of term.
Themes from the older Foundations participants: they enjoyed creating and the creative process, rehearsal and performance, gained confidence and self-esteem and made new friends.
How capable did you feel overcoming challenges? 80% of participants rated themselves at poor at the start of term; by the end of term all older participants rated themselves average to very good at overcoming challenges.
100% of younger and older foundations participants wanted to continue on with us at The Garage; this shows their increased resilience, as some young people found the sessions difficult but still wanted to come back and participate in performing arts in some way.